Keeping Your Colon Clean is Healthy
Keeping your colon clean may help lower your risk for certain cancers, irritable bowel syndrome, hemorrhoids, and constipation. Colonics, enemas, and flushes are excellent ways to keep the colon healthy, but they’re not for everyone. There are things you can do at home to keep your colon clean and functioning properly.
The colon refers to the large intestine and rectal area, located in the lower part of the digestive tract. It serves as the body’s waste management system, so you want to keep things moving as smoothly as possible and not backed up. In a healthy body a clean colon eliminates toxins from the body. When the colon gets backed up, toxins cannot be eliminated and they continue to back up into the liver and bloodstream. Talk about body pollution!
So how can you keep your colon clean? Take slow and easy approaches to introduce new healthy habits to your body. Believe it or not, folks have gone their entire lives thinking that have 2-3 bowel movements a week is ‘normal’. While there is no hard and fast rule about what ‘normal’ should be, experts agree that going at least once a day is beneficial.
Easy Ways to Keep Your Colon Clean
– Introduce more fiber into your daily diet. Fiber helps move debris from the colon and out of the body. Have oatmeal or a whole grain cereal with nut milk and some fresh berries on top. Vegetables, fruits, legumes and whole grain products have the most fiber content so try and add at least one of these to each meal. If you are unable to get enough fiber through your diet, fiber supplements are available.
– Green foods are very cleansing to the colon and help it heal so eat at least one serving a day in the form of a salad, smoothie, or juice.
– Eat a serving of fermented foods daily. Yogurt, miso, saurkraut or fermented drinks all help replenish and keep a nice balance of organisms in the gut.
– Drink more fluids! Water is the obvious choice when it comes to staying hydrated, but non-caffeinated teas count as daily intake as well. The body needs fluids to prepare waste material to leave the body. When a body doesn’t have enough fluids it can’t release toxins or waste (stool) easily.
– Chia seeds are a powerhouse favorite food to add to smoothies and juices to increase fiber and keep the colon clean. Plus you reap the benefits of the healthy oils they contain. Chia seeds can also be mixed with a bit of nut milk and berries to make a nice thick pudding.
– Other supplements that support the colon are probiotics. Probiotics help keep friendly gut organisms in balance so the unfriendly strains don’t take over.
– Never suppress the urge to go to the bathroom! The body has a warning system to let you know when it’s time to have a bowel movement. If you ignore this warning, the body will also hold onto the toxins and reintroduce them into the body making you feel tired and weak.
– Walk and move your body daily. The simple act of moving your body helps keep your colon healthy and removes waste in a timely manner.
– Don’t underestimate the negative impact stress has on your colon! Stress is one of the biggest reasons people get constipated. Being out of balance mentally and emotionally can prevent the body from having a bowel movement. Meditation, prayer, and yoga are all ways to combat stress. At the end of the day, take 5 minutes and do some deep breathing exercises. Take a deep breath in, and breath out the stress. Do until you feel calm.
Introducing one new food, exercise, or calming activity each week can help keep your colon clean and your body healthy!